As a child of the 70’s, I ate this salad a lot. It was honestly one of the only salads that I really enjoyed. As an adult I have discovered that a lot of people somehow missed out on this culinary delight/trend in their own childhoods… such a shame. It is super simple and easy to make and super tasty. It is also the perfect potluck dish. I just took it last month to a potluck at our stables/barn.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce – washed and chopped
- 1 cauliflower – washed and chopped
- 1 bag (10 ouunces) frozen peas – thawed
- 1 lb bacon – fried until crisp, drained and chopped
- 1 medium to large onion (yellow or red)
- 12 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (the cheap stuff in the shaker)
- 1 1/4 cup mayonnaise
Disclaimer: I never exactly follow instructions. Add more of things you like, use less of what you don’t. Also some people add a couple of tablespoons of sugar to the dressing. I don’t. I don’t think it needs it.
Mix the last two ingredients (mayonnaise and parmesan cheese) together and set aside.
Layer everything else in distinct layers into a bowl deep enough to hold everything. Smear mayonnaise/parmesan cheese mixture on top so “seals” everything into bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Toss right before serving.
It will be crunchy and delicious.